Kimmayco Chows Down: Banana and Oat Healthy Pancakes
I've eaten my weight in treats this weekend and I'm feeling a lil guilty... but that sweet tooth still has a way of creeping through. So when I'm in need of a sweet treat and something healthy I turn to my clean banana and oat pancakes to help get my "cake" in shape! This can be eaten as a pre or post workout munch. I've even upped the protein in this for a bit of muscle mending boost- serious teng!
Here's what you will need for a recipe to serve TWO (unless you're really hungry):
- A food blender (I have a standard Tefal food blender) - 1 heaping cup of oats - 1 ripe banana - 10 drops of liquid stevia (you can sub in honey here if you wish, sweetness to your taste) - 4 egg whites - 1 whole egg - 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (I prefer natural) - Dash of sea salt - 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1) Add the oats to the blender and blend. This will turn your whole oats into oat flour. (To make this recipe gluten free go for the gluten free type of oats)
2) Cut up your banana and add to the mix- blend!
3) Add your egg whites and whole egg- blend!
4) Add 10 drops of liquid stevia, 1/2 tsp vanilla essence, dash of sea salt, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda- blend!
5) If you want fluffy pancakes make sure the mixture isn't runny, it should be a thick but liquid mixture. If runny blend a tbsp of oats in. Keep doing this until the mixture is no longer runny
6) Grease your pancake pan with some virgin coconut oil (or any other healthy oil you have) and heat the pan to a low heat.
7) Start putting your pancake mixture in to form small pancakes. After approx 30 seconds check the sides of the pancakes to see if you can lift them up, if you can it's time to flip them over with a flat kitchen utensil. Repeat for the rest of your mixture.
8) Stack them cakes!!
9) Add your toppings! I topped with Chia Jam and Coconut butter (recipe coming soon). You can also top with Almond butter (yum) or eat them as it is.
Let us know if you try the recipe!